Stuttering In Children And Speech Therapy
Stuttering Children would welcome specialized stuttering therapy, if offered.
Two questions come in mind. The first; Is therapy beneficial for Stuttering in Children?
The majority of Stuttering Children would answer that their childhood was without doubt the worst part of their life. Stuttering in Children can make growing up very difficult especially when you go through those teenage years.
The second question which comes in mind; Is speech therapy of benefit to stuttering children? All I can say is that I would have loved somebody to offer me the chance to achieve fluency when I was fourteen years of age, unfortunately this type of specialized stuttering treatment was not available back then.
To achieve fluency takes a lot of hard work and dedication; that goes without saying. Not all stuttering children are willing to put in the required effort to totally overcome their stutter; this may be through laziness or just a lack of maturity. With their parents help and guidance, the therapy will however be of great benefit, even to these people, as it will at least give them options and make them aware of what they should be doing to speak fluently.
The majority of stuttering children would walk to the other side of the world in order to achieve fluency and therefore are more than happy to work very hard towards eradicating the stutter. Specialized stuttering therapy can quite simply change these types of children’s lives.
The Cause Of Stuttering In Children
The cause of stuttering in children is still a mystery. Many studies have been conducted to try to get to the root of the problem. What we do know is that there are plenty of factors that can contribute or trigger this speech disorder. Genetics and the malfunction of the mechanisms responsible for speech may be just a few.
The symptoms of stuttering in children should only be feared if it has continued with no sign of improvement up to about six months later. Here is a short list of the symptoms that you should be aware of.
1. Consistent repetition of a specific syllable.
2. The habit of pronouncing some sounds in an elongated way like “Hhhhhhhello”.
3. Substituting vowels such as “I will wuh-wuhsh my face”.
4. The changing of tone and/or pitch when a child is having difficulty with a word.
5. Shows signs of being afraid to speak.
If you feel that your child might be dealing with this issue, there are some important things that you must understand about child stuttering.
As a parent, it is your job to ease their mind and help them get through the stage of speech dis-fluency. So here are some useful tips.
Tips In Regard To Stuttering In Children
1. Do not ask your child too many questions. Give a small child room to express themselves, rather than the parent forcing them to speak.
2. Do not have a negative reaction when your child stutters. The worst thing to do is make them extremely self conscious. Do not correct the child either, nor complete any sentence that they are struggling with. Let them finish what they started.
3. Once they have finished what they need to say, repeat it back slowly to let them to know that you understood. Most of all, try to talk to your child about his or her speech when they want to.
4. Stuttering in children may also be a result of fast speaking. Try your hardest to speak at a moderate tempo around your children. This will give them a good example, and don’t act like you’re in a hurry when they are speaking.
5. Never tell your child to “keep it down” or “do not talk so loud” The stuttering child will grow into speaking with low sounds and this has been found to be one of the major factors in the child’s stuttering speech. Even when stuttering, tell your child to speak louder.
6. Parents are encouraged to not interrupt their child or try to correct their speech as they are speaking. Parents should be very supportive and not get upset in front of the child if they begin to stutter on a few words.
Stuttering will effect twice as many boys than girls. Girls are apt to go through this stage in life without struggling with stutter.
Did you know that nearly 4 million Americans alone deal with stuttering? Facts and statistics about Stuttering in Children understandably are difficult to obtain.
There Is Now A New Technology To Cure Stuttering Children
Stuttering in Children is one of the most debilitating afflictions a young person can acquire within the first few years of growing up. With many qualified people working to understand the cause for the young child to start stuttering speech, many have come to the conclusion that there is no definite way to cure stuttering. Many children and also their parents are growing more and more to this counter- productive way of thinking on the subject.
It is true, the child growing up with stuttering speech is more apt to keep the affliction with him or her, as the years grow into teenage years. The child and the affliction will grow more difficult to Cure Stuttering. When the child passes the teen age years into adulthood, the process to cure Stuttering in Children, may seem a down right impossible task as they have been taught to believe.
The adult stutterer, now being hard wired, so to speak, due to the number of years of day by day stuttering, has all but given up on the possibility of ever talking like he used to dream of, in his or her younger years.
This scenario has been a sad but true story for the person growing up with a life molding stuttering habit. This has been growing and going on for many years, but with the efforts of many and with the help of new technology, there is now growing hope for the child starting to grow up with this life altering affliction called stuttering and even for the older stutterer that has been so deeply hard wired into the stuttering habit.
This new hope comes way of a new speech therapy tool that can be used in the privacy of the persons home and also used in the day by day living of the stuttering person. The speech tool uses the persons own vocal muscles that interact with the speech tools new technology, to achieve results that are just now getting to be realized as real and permanent.
With this new speech therapy tool, that can easily be used at home, with results that can reverse the old thinking that there was no cure for stuttering in children, may be the tool for the young child and the hard wired stuttering adult to use for the reversal of the life of torment stuttering, to a life of stutter free, positive living.
The author, Chris Brewer has been helping the stuttering community for years and hopes more people will learn about the Speech Therapy Tool called ‘StutterFree’. You can read more about StutterFree, just Click Here……..StutterFree
This website will open doors of information for the Parents of Stuttering in Children.
For More info; Look to the right side of this page and click on to other pages and articles